Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

A QUICK FIX

I just had to share this with you. One day when I was in a real bind - guests were coming and there was not a piece of cake or a cookie in the house - I called Marallyn in a panic. Really - who else do I call when I'm in a panic? What to do - what to do? And she gave me the following recipe. As a matter of fact - I used it the other day when I had - literally - 30 minutes from the time I walked into the house at 7:00 PM until my very unexpected guests were showing up at 7:30 PM. Talk about short notice.

5-MINUTE MICROWAVE BROWNIES

Melt 150 gr. butter or margarine with 100 gr. bittersweet chocolate. Mix well to combine. (NOTE: 456 grams = 1 pound. 150 gr = just over 5 ozs. 100 gr = 3 1/2 ozs.)

Add in following order - mixing after each addition:
1 Cup sugar
2 large eggs - lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Cup flour (sift flour & cocoa together over mixture)
1/2 Cup cocoa - unsweetened

Optional additions - total of 1 Cup
chopped nuts
raisins
dried cherries
chocolate chips
white chocolate chips

Grease an 8" x 8" glass baking dish and put in mixture

Put in microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes - check for "doneness". If not done, bake in 30-second increments until done. Depending on your microwave oven, you should not need more than 5 minutes total. The mixture should not be completely dry.

Remove from oven - let stand 2 1/2 minutes - then cover with plastic wrap.

Cut into squares when cool.

NOTES: (1) If you have a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter in that. Then just add the other ingredients and mix with a whisk or a large wooden spoon or a large spatula. No need for an electric mixer. (2) Line your glass baking dish with baking paper - bottom and sides. When it's time to cut the brownies, lift the paper out of the baking dish and place on a cutting board - it's much easier to cut into squares on a flat surface.

Incidentally, Marallyn gave me the recipe without the chocolate (only with the cocoa) and the vanilla. It's much tastier with. I mention margarine in place of butter only if you keep kosher and want to serve this after a meat meal. "Butta is betta." (Thanks, Mike Meyers.)

These also freeze well and then go into the microwave for a few seconds when you want to serve at a later date. However - did you ever eat frozen brownies straight from the freezer? One of life's guilty pleasures - believe me.

Yalla, Bye.








Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?