Sunday, June 08, 2008

 

MY FABULOUS CM

As all of my regular readers know by now - I have the best CM (computer mumche {expert}) in the entire world. He's about seven feet tall, has the face of an angel, a personality to match - and is absolutely brilliant. He's a student at the Hebrew University and is doing his PhD now. Not fair of me, I know - but I hope he takes years and years to finish because when he does finally finish studying and gets a "real" job he won't have time to be my CM any more.

Last week my printer died. Well. it didn't really die - it just ran out of ink - but it was dead as far as I was concerned. What to do? New ink costs 250 shekels. A whole new printer-fax-copier-scanner costs only 1000 shekels. A new machine it was.

So on Thursday he met me at "Office Depot" and we chose a new machine - actually, he chose the machine and I just went along for the ride. And to pay the bill.

Yesterday he came to hook it up. He took everything out of the enormous box - knew exactly what every little piece and wire was for - and went to work. The machine is an HP - and came with completely detailed instructions in two large booklets - two because they were printed in so many languages - not one of which was English. Sixteen languages - German, Italian, Finnish, Greek, Turkish, Flemish, Swedish, Portugese, Hebrew - you get the picture - but not in English.

Not that it would have made any difference to me - there is no way that I could have installed it by myself. You have to "introduce" the printer to the computer - each operation has another introduction process. A question - why can't you just plug the thing in and let it get to work? It also comes with a CD - not much help to me either as the language on the CD keeps changing from English to Hebrew.

Now - I speak both English and Hebrew - but anything technical is Greek to me. Believe me when I tell you that I can barely put in a lightbulb by myself - it's that bad.

But I'm back in business now and I just sent out an important fax. My old printer went "zzzhhhh" - and the fax was sent. This printer goes "glp glp gurgle blp blp" - and the fax goes out in a fraction of the time it took with the old machine. Oh yes - it also prints in color - I'll have to try that one of these days when I get up the courage.

N.B. My friend, Brenda, told me that I made a mistake in my last posting - our Annual General Meeting is in July - not June as I wrote the other day - so I have another month before all the screaming begins.

Yalla, Bye.

Comments:
Good for people to know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?