Saturday, November 17, 2007

 

THE SHIRT OFF HER BACK

You must have heard the expression "She'd give you the shirt off her back". My friend, Sheherazad, did just that - except it wasn't a shirt - it was a salwar kamize - those absolutely gorgeous Indian outfits consisting of loose pants, a long top and a scarf - all in different but coordinated fabrics and colors.

Two weeks ago I opened my computer to find an email that had been "lost" along the way telling me that Myra's and my friends, Sheherazad and her business partner Prashant, had to be in Jerusalem for an unexpected meeting and asking if we would be free on Saturday evening.

All well and good - but the message only arrived late Saturday afternoon and when I sent a message back to Prashant's Blackberry (don't you just love this new technology?) - they were already here. What to do? I was free - Myra was free - and I invited them to my house. After all, friends are friends and as they live in India and we live here we don't get to see each other very often. So any chance to get together is a chance not to be missed.

We had only a few hours between the time we spoke and the time they were due at my house. Achat, steym (literally one,two) Myra and I pulled things out of our freezers and fridges - she had cookies and rolls and salad stuff and I had salmon and tosfot (accompaniments) - and we all had a wonderful dinner and talked and talked until after midnight.

Sheherazad was wearing the most beautiful salwar kamize - she is stunning and wears the most elegant clothes - I remember when we all went to a wedding in Delhi and she said she was going to wear just a simple sari - and she turned up looking like something out of a fashion magazine - and so she turned up here in the most striking outfit - which I admired extravagantly. Peach colored pants, an olive green top and a scarf incorporating both those colors. Once again like something out of a fashion magazine.

Incidentally, I should tell you that Prashant's wife, Muna, is also a knockout. When I noticed her at the wedding I didn't realize she was Prashant's wife and I was going to ask her - a complete stranger at the time - if I could take her picture - she was wearing a drop-dead sari in marigold and deep wine - and I have the pictures to prove it.

The next day they were free and Myra (she is a tour guide) and I went with them on a tour of the Old City. And when we all met up at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre Sheherazad handed me a large bag - and inside was the salwar kamize!! What shall I say - I cried. She literally gave me the salwar kamize off her back. Did you ever hear of such a friend?

Yalla, Bye.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?