Tuesday, November 21, 2006

 

GOBBLE GOBBLE - part II

In my own personal countdown to Thanksgiving I'm off and running. Well - I was running this morning - now I'm walking a bit more slowly. But - I accomplished a lot today.

Did all my marketing except for the slices of smoked goose breast.
Sliced goose breast you ask? Yes - to frizzle in the pan before I put the brussels sprouts in to saute. I used to use pancetta in the States but I keep kosher now - remember? Smoked goose breast seems to have disappeared from the deli counters for the moment - just when I need it. Like right before Shavuout a few years ago. Philadelphia Cream Cheese had just come onto the market here. Oh Joy. Oh Happiness. Now I can make New York Cheesecakes - I foolishly thought. After all, Shavuout is the holiday where you pig out (you should excuse the expression) on dairy products. Overnight the Philadelphia Cream Cheese disappeared from the shelves - not to be seen again for several months. My goose is really cooked now. (Ouch)

As you know - I was agonizing over my pie crusts. But synchronicity - or is it serendipity - stepped in and saved the day. On my way back from a wonderful concert last night I stopped off at the post office to pick up my mail - among which were two of my food magazines - GOURMET and SAVEUR. As I was leafing through GOURMET I read a letter-to-the-editor from some woman who said that she also had "piecrustophobia" but she used the recipe in the August issue (page 89) of GOURMET - and she now makes perfect pie crusts. Well - if she can do it so can I. So I got out my August issue - turned to page 89 - and I have just finished preparing the dough for four pie crusts. They're now in the fridge "resting" - see, I'm not the only one who has to rest after working hard. On Thrusday I'll roll them out - praying all the while - and hoping for the best.

I'm still trying to decide, however, between a pumpkin pie and a lemon meringue pie. I'll definitely do an apple pie and a pecan pie. I think I'll just sleep on it and decide later.

Now its back to the kitchen to clean up the mess I made doing the pie crusts. Then I'll make the cranberry sauce and the cranberry relish. (Because with all the preparations I also had a Board Meeting to attend today and my car had to go in for service - which is really a no-brainer as I lease my car and I always get a loaner so that I am never carless. But I am tired. ) Will let you know how my preparations are coming along. Tomorrow I have to.......oh forget it - you're probably just as busy as I am.

Stay Safe.

Rena

Comments:
be still my heart...pecan pie...i am not going to eat until tomorrow night at your table...well, i'll eat less...well, i'll do my best...can't wait...you must be pooped...i am and all i did was read your post...stay safe...great blog once again...yahoooo...ps i mentioned your dinner in my blog so who knows who's going to turn up at the door??? stay safe...loveyou, marallyn
 
Rena - I can taste everything!

I wish I was there to partake in the festivities.

I can not wait to hear how everything turns out - i have made pies - they are quite good and I would make a Lemon Mareingue pie with tart fresh lemons....mmmmmgoood - pumkin pie is for goyim.

Love ya

Arthur
 
Yael & Mackie are coming on Friday for leftovers - their choice, not mine - it's Yael's cousin's birthday on Thursday and Yubie is cooking - can a Mother miss that? Would be fun if you and Ken could join us. OK - your comment decided me - it's the Lemon Meringue pie.

Love ya too.
 
Well Marallyn - you should have stopped eating days ago - there is soooo much food - I should have stopped eating weeks ago - nevermind - as that great sage once said "Eat, Drink and Be Merry - for tomorrow we shall DIET".
 
so i didn't eat all day...i'm getting ready to get ready to come to your house...good food/good friends/a lot to be thankful for...thanks rena
 
Wasn't it a FABULOUS evening? I am dead tired - it's almost 1:30 AM - but I had a great time. Thanks for making it such a fun evening. Hurray for kitty-litter.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?